I am always hungry. I know that I need to eat – however many calories I eat –but I just seem to not have enough, so I overeat. What can I do for this?
There are a few things that could be at work here:
- Boredom- It is easy to get the munchies because you are bored. If this is the case, see if you can do something to alleviate this boredom. If you are finding that you are super hungry all day while you need to be at work, and there is not choice to change scenery etc., then get yourself some healthy munchies. Get something that is low in calories and healthy so, even if you snack all day, you are not over eating.
- Lack of Nutrients- Another problem some people have is that the types of foods they are eating are so low in the nutrients their bodies actually keep sending hunger signals until it gets what it needs. For something like this, you should make sure that you have balanced meals throughout the day consisting of:
- Complex carbohydrates like yams, squash, brown rice, potatoes, oats etc.
- Proteins like chicken, fish, etc. (for vegan or vegetarian choices, you may want a protein powder to supplement your diet)
- High-quality fats (this depends on the cut of meat, you may already get enough in your meal)
- Non-starch vegetables like green leaf lettuce, kale, broccoli, zucchini, etc.
- Cravings/addictions- If you are used to eating high carbs and high sugars and other non-healthy fats, the body can create an addiction that will make you feel hungry, even though you really aren’t. Cut all the garbage out and eat with the guidelines listed above. It takes a little time, but the cravings eventually subside.
- Emotional hunger- Make sure you are not eating out of an emotional need to fill a void. Many people will eat to comfort themselves. If you suspect this is the case then you may want to work with a therapist that specializes in working with this.
I know that I am not giving you one easy answer, but now you have a few things to look at so that you know what next step to take. You are on your way to solving this. LIVE FULL OUT!